Statcounter

Friday, July 23, 2010

Name that Verse: The God-Shaped Hole

OK, so this blog's starting to take shape with lots of different sections, including the "Let Us Reason Together" section that's still empty. But it's time to start a new section!!!

This section is called "Name that verse." This is where I take common Christian phrases that, well, frankly drive me nuts, and seek to scour the deepest recesses of the bible for the verse that teaches the concept. Along the way, if the 2 or 3 of you that actually read this blog post in the comments, maybe I'll correct my thinking. I'm usually right, though, so probably not :)

So I'm working, and a song comes on the radio, that sounds to me like nails on a chalkboard, to be honest:

There's a God-shaped hole in all of us
And the restless soul is searching
There's a God-shaped hole in all of us
And it's a void only he can fill


I think C.S. Lewis said this stuff first about God-shaped holes in our hearts. Dude, I love you, and you're way more brilliant than I'll ever be. But...

My bible seems to say that the heart is deceitful and desperately wicked, and that no one seeks God. Instead, He sought us and first loved us when we were living lives in rebellion to Him. Jesus put it this way: you can't put new wine into old wineskins, because the wineskins will break. You don't need God to repair the hole in your current wineskin. You need a brand new one. Jesus calls that being "born again."

By the way, want to know what else that song says?

Every point of view has another angle
And every angle has its merit
But it all comes down to faith
Thats the way I see it


Really? I didn't check my brain at the door to become a Christian, and Jesus says otherwise. The only point of view that has merit is the one that's true. Everything contrary to the truth is false. 2 + 2 does not equal 5, no matter how much merit I think it has.

But that doesn't sell Contemporary Christian records, does it?

So, the floor is open: Is there a God-shaped hole in all of us? NAME THAT VERSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment