Statcounter

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

I Will Never Pray for That Man!


As I write this, it's 1:32 in the morning. The United States has just re-elected Barack Obama as its President. And I'll be honest - I'm feeling bitter. Frustrated. Despondent. Beside myself.

It hurts to think of an America whose freedoms are eroding, while citizens willingly choose that path. It's hard to watch my country - an idol in many ways - choose a wide road that leads to destruction. I know that the freedom to share the Gospel will disappear soon. The clock is ticking on our freedom to call evil what it is and tell of the ultimate gift of love and sacrifice in the open square.

America isn't the country my parents grew up in, and that's sad. I'm not optimistic about the future of our country, because we're a nation with our hands out instead of one with our heads bowed and our knees to the ground. We made that clear with our voices and our votes.

So what now?

I said this moments ago, on Facebook: "Pray for your President, pray for your nation, and preach the Gospel, while you still have time."

I received a response that probably echoes the feelings of many on a bitter night of defeat: ""I will NEVER Pray For That Man. He is evil."

We're all evil. I am. You are. Barack Obama is. Even Mitt Romney. Jesus said to pray for your enemies. Why? Because when you pray for your enemies, you think differently. You start to see things from their point of view.

No, Barack Obama and I will probably never sit on the porch, hang out, and swap stories like best friends. In fact, I hope he fails at virtually everything he's got planned. But I should pray for him - every day. Because he needs Jesus. Just like me. Just like you. He's no different than me or you. Apart from Jesus, he can do nothing.

By the way, pray for Mitt, too. Unless he repents and places his trust in Jesus, he's as lost as anyone. If you clean the outside of a cup, the inside's still filthy. That's you. That's me. That's Barack Obama. That's Mitt Romney. That's all of us. It's a disease, and the only cure is Jesus.

Jesus told the Pharisees, "He who has been forgiven much, loves much." How much have you been forgiven? When you really understand how much you've been forgiven, you'll find yourself wanting to pray for "evil" men.

Bring yourself to the foot of the cross. Remember who you are and what you deserve. Look up to the cross, and remember the mercy God has shown you. Stay there for a while, and you'll see things in a whole new light.

If you've been through the emotional ringer tonight, because you care deeply about this country, there's one thing you can do that's far more potent than any vote you've ever cast.

Pray for your President.

No comments:

Post a Comment